https://www.facebook.com/sandi.roush.90

My blog about motorcycle rides, photography etc.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sonoma to Fort Bragg July 2010

Sonoma to Fort Bragg July 2010

My husband and I loaded up the trailer with our Yamaha Raiders and hauled the bikes from Medford, Oregon down to my Dad's house in Sonoma, California.  We had an over night bike ride planned.

We left Sonoma and headed north via the inland route Redland HWY 101.  We took a short detour to drive through the Chandalier Tree.  The Chandalier Tree is a drive through tree park.  The tree is 315 foot (96 metre) tall coast redwood tree in Leggett, California with a 6 foot (1.83 m) wide by 6 foot 9 inch hole carved in 1930's. (Wikipedia)  Small cars get through fine but an SUV had to fold in the mirrors and inched through.


                                                           Driving through the tree!
                                                     Charlie driving through the tree.
                                       My dad driving through the tree (our fearless leader!)


Lunch stop on the coast.


 

 
Crab pots on the pier.
 
We arrived in Fort Bragg late afternoon, walked to a nearby mini market and picked up some beer and chips. It was great just to hang out with my Dad and husband just talking.  We had a great dinner at the steak house in Fort Bragg and spent the night at a motel.
 
 
Bikes tied up for the night.
 
In the morning we woke up in the fog.  It was like riding through the clouds.  The visibility wasn't great but we had riding to do.  We headed south down the Marin Headlands. It was pretty foggy and it kept accumulating on my faceplate.  I had some "OMG I'm gonna' die" moments. 

My husband, Charlie, is such a rock for me.  We have helmet communication and actually enjoy talking to each other.  When there is a tough piece of road he helps me through it and he was great when I stalled my bike going straight uphill- on a very tight curve- in the fog- with cars behind us.

Made a nice stop at the coast and watched some seals sunbathing.  Fog was lifting nicely and it got nice and sunny.




We went back to Sonoma via the Golden Gate Bridge.  We rode 460 miles in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment