https://www.facebook.com/sandi.roush.90

My blog about motorcycle rides, photography etc.

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Minimalism

Xlentcrap

Well, I do have a lot of excellent crap, but it's official, I'm moving! 

I have been in my current house since 2007.  Besides all the stuff I moved from Waddell, Arizona to Medford, Oregon, I also have accumulated a bunch more stuff to fill cabinets, boxes, closets, under beds and in the garage.  As I start packing I realize that a significant amount of this mass has just been lying around, taking up space, acquiring dust and requiring dusting. 

Some things like CD's and DVD's didn't originally take up much space, old jackets that I had to have at the time, some stuff other people got rid of  like power tools and even more stuff with emotional attachments.  The stuff with emotional attachments are the hardest ones to get rid of. 

Moving is a GREAT opportunity to get rid of things that aren't used, not needed and don't matter.  I am taking pictures of things to get rid of and taking them to work.  Kind of like a virtual garage sale.
 
I've been doing a little research on minimalism.  I've been called a minimalist in my decorating skills but trying to be a minimalist in life sounds a bit daunting.  I'm not moving into a mini-home, but I do want to be able to park my car in the new garage.  I do want to spend less time cleaning and organizing, dusting and washing.  I do want to spend more time socializing with my new neighbors and friends.  I want to spend more time riding and less time cleaning. 

One of the great things about minimalism is that you have less stuff.  Less to wash, less to dust, less to store, less to worry about.  More time to relax, more time to ride my motorcycle. 

My new house is by a lake with a community park only a block away.  I imagine sitting in a chair by the lake reading or sitting by the fireplace and watching a movie.  But most of all - more RELAXING.

In my case, I'm getting a little bigger house than I have now.  The property size was my first priority to downsize.  I currently have a half acre of lawn and gardens and a ton of trees.  Last year I bagged 28 bags of leaves pretty much by myself - something I never want to do again.  I learned to use a leaf blower, start a gas lawn mower, use an edger and put in a new dripline. It was a great learning experience.  And a great space if you like to garden but I'm personally over that part now.  I have always had two large green cans for yard waste and they are always full about 9 months a year.  My new house has a yard that can be done by a Barbie lawnmower.  Yea! 

The house is ready to sell, just need to finish a few projects and off we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment