https://www.facebook.com/sandi.roush.90

My blog about motorcycle rides, photography etc.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Winter Riding

Winter is upon us and many people talk about winterizing their bikes and putting them away till spring time.  My response is "WHY??"  We live in Medford, Oregon not Alaska.

Sure it snows here in Medford and sometimes it actually accumulates on the roads but that rarely lasts for more than a day.  My husband calls it "Designer Snow" because it puts a pretty layer on the surrounding mountains but rarely accumulates on the roads.  There can be a blizzard up on Mt. Ashland and be sunny and 65 degrees in the valley.

It was 70 at our house and snowing in Ashland.


When it gets very cold, the city is very good at putting down salt and gravel which can cause adverse conditions for riding, but I don't ride when it's that cold anyways.  The gravel is heavy in corners so it's best to avoid real knee-scraping turns in the winter!

I have heated hand grips on my bike and I love them!  I don't deny being a fair weather rider but the heated hand grips sure extend my ride time.  They are especially great on road trips when there are time tables to adhere to and you can't wait till it gets warmer to start your ride.  I've been on rides where my hands are so cold I can't squeeze the brake and that's not a good place to be.

The proper clothing is also important.  Warm hands don't mean much when the rest of your body is shivering. Layer your clothes and if you do get cold, pull over and warm up.  I always store a sweatshirt and a t-shirt when I ride in case the weather changes. (Hello, Oregon!)

Here is a great website with tips on winter riding:

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/seven-tips-winter-motorcycle-riding/

 
Ride on and keep the shiny side up!




No comments:

Post a Comment