https://www.facebook.com/sandi.roush.90

My blog about motorcycle rides, photography etc.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kitchen Project

I don't like little white tiles.  I'm sure there are a place for them, like public bathrooms in subway stations - just not in my kitchen.  I have lived with them nearly eight years because I'm a tightwad and didn't want to spend money on new kitchen countertops when these worked fine.

They are getting pretty worn and scratched - probably because I didn't used to be good at using a cutting board, and also the grout is starting to chip around the edges.

Charlie had been out last weekend with some clients and had found out a bit about kitchens so he was on a bit of a roll. 

I love the look of granite and we finally went out yesterday to get some rough estimates.  With measurements in hand we headed over to On this Rock (Granite Mafia) off of Hwy 62.  The sign on the door said they were closed and we were ready to move on when Charlie spotted someone in the warehouse. 

It was the owners dropping off lunch for a worker.  They opened up the store and showed us around, gave us an estimate and told us to go pick out a slab as we would only need one.

We went to Precision Marble and Tile.  When we told him the type of granite we liked and the salesman said they didn't carry "construction grade" granite.  We weren't too offended and let him write up an estimate.  It was about $1000 higher for the estimate and $1000 higher for the slab we liked so we moved on to the next place.

We went to Oregon Tile and Marble.  The warehouse was HUGE!  They had lots of slabs of granite and some marble.  We found an awesome slab in the colors we liked, with big chunky pieces.  We picked the satin finish instead of polished and will hammer out the other details with the fabricator.  The first slab we saw and liked was about $19/sq. foot but ended up with $38/sq. foot.  It's a good thing my kitchen is just big enough to be in a Barbie's playhouse.

Here are some current pictures of my kitchen.






This is the slab of granite I picked. 

 

 
10/3/13 We went to pick out a sink and a faucet at the granite fabricator (On this Rock).  We made an appointment for the guys to come out and make a pattern and they said the installation will be about 5 days later.  We then went down to Oregon Tile and Marble to take a look at our slab.  We had to pick out the finish.  It will still be satin but we picked wet instead of dry.  Wet was more colorful and made it deeper looking, dry was a little more white and shallow.
 
We asked when the demolition was going to be done - oops.  They said that was up to us unless we paid extra.  Since I don't know anything about demolition I asked the fabricator to do it (for an extra $500.00).  When I got home I wondered if it was anything we could do ourselves and looked up a couple of YouTube videos. 
 
After watching a few videos I have determined that it is a lot more work than I am able (or willing) to do.  It's a HUGE mess and one of the videos had a girl who said it took her 15 hours to demo a kitchen about our size.  We discussed having the guys look at it when they come out and try a little bit but I think we will leave this to the professionals.
 
10-6-13  I thought about getting rid of the countertop microwave which covers so much of our current countertop.  I want to show off the new counters, not hide them!  We went to Home Depot and picked out a built in (above the stove) microwave oven.  We went with stainless steel to match the stove.  When we decided on getting an above the stove microwave and we knew we had to move fast because this would change the area of the backsplash measurement. 
 
10-11-13  Charlie ripped out the oven vent a few days ago and installed an electrical outlet so the build in microwave can be installed tomorrow.  A couple more weeks and we will have new counter tops!  So excited!

 
 
10-13-13 The Home Depot guys came and installed my new microwave.
Looks great, works great too!
 
10/28/13 was supposed to be demo day in my kitchen but the guy from On this Rock called to say they have the flu going around so they moved the demo to next Tuesday.  Oh well.
 
11/5/13  I called Charlie this morning to see if the demo had started and it hadn't because the guys were still in Grants Pass.  I called back in the afternoon and the guys had just arrived.  I asked Charlie to have them make some "demo noise" for me.  Charlie said a couple guys were picking up hammers and I could hear them pounding on the counters.  I cheered with delight!
I came home to the smell of fresh plywood when I got in the door.  The kitchen demo is done and they put down fresh plywood.  They got a bid aggressive near the refrigerator where there is a 4 inch hole in the wall.
It's probably going to be about a week before I get my new countertops.
 
11-14-13  I got off work last night and came home to new countertops.  WOW!  I love them!  The sink isn't hooked up so no dishwasher or disposal either.  Charlie said he called a plumber who can be out sometime next week so Charlie is sending out a lifeline to his dad to help him reinstall the disposal and hook up the sink and dishwasher.
Today I came home to find Chuck under my kitchen sink!  Charlie had to go to a quick appointment and Chuck was finishing up with the sink.  The install of the faucet looks awesome but I can't use the sink till tomorrow because the pipe glue has to dry.
Over the weekend I need to take everything out of the drawers and vacuum all the junk from the countertop demo and then put everything through the dishwasher.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment