https://www.facebook.com/sandi.roush.90

My blog about motorcycle rides, photography etc.

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Moving has improved my painting skills!

Last October, Charlie got a big opportunity for advancement in his career.  We moved from Medford, Oregon (about 15 miles north of California) to Salem, Oregon (closer to Portland).  It rains A LOT more and finding myself stuck inside gave me more opportunity to paint. 
 
 
A few months ago I started experimenting with shading, or as I learned it was called gradation. I started with this olive.  After this painting, I decided to purchase Ginger Cook's "Back to Basics" and watched the beginner videos several times. 
 
I loved her videos on making the masters backgrounds and had lots of fun doing those.  I painted several backgrounds and set up a still life in front of one.  So I guess it's my reference photo.
 
 
I battled with the color of the radishes and learned how hard it is to get a lighter red without going pink!  I added the bell pepper from memory (because I didn't have one in the refrigerator!)  I love the way the bottle turned out.
 
 
 
Another masters background inspired a painting for a friend's daughter who loves penguins.
 

Sometimes I figure out new techniques by accident, but it sure is fun to learn!  It has been a long wet winter and I do love to paint - but I long for sunshine as I have a motorcycle in the garage that is calling me to ride, louder and louder as the days go on.

I guess when the sun comes out, the motorcycle will win, and when the clouds come back, the paint will win again.







No comments:

Post a Comment